Tuesday, October 5, 2010

We Are All Derivative


(This is not about my next book.  It's about how to succeed by imitating successful people.)


I am writing my next book.  The process is always the same:

1.  Clear the mental deck of the demons shouting:  "You can't do this! You have nothing new to say!  You have no talent!"

2.  Read books on the topic to learn how other authors deal with it.  Decide my unique contribution.

3.  Surround my work area with books that make my heart sing, as Author Xandra Bingley does, hoping their spirits will jump into her writing.  I have Jack Canfield, Annie Lamott, Stephen King (his book on writing) and the memoir of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire. 

4.  Put a one-inch picture frame on my desk, as Annie Lamott says.  Sit down and write, same time every day, to get into the discipline.  Only care about filling the equivalent of that frame each day.

5.  Find the best writing time of day.  Attorney and mystery writer Michael Kahn writes at night after his kids have gone to bed.  My time is early, early morning before the day's noises beckon.

6.  As author Dan Poynter recommends, get a three-ring binder, with chapter dividers to hold the writing, write the back cover copy, and begin writing wherever I can.

7.  Write till it's done.

Did you notice how many authors I'm imitating? Few of us are ORIGINALS who actually create something new.  Most of us are DERIVATIVES who found inspirational somebodies to imitate.

Whether they want to be a professional speaker or a coach or a successful CEO or educational administrator, my consistent advice to clients is:  Look around in your business.  Find the successful ones.  Get to know them.  Do what they do.  (That means joining their same organizations, going to conferences, getting involved.)

If you don't know the career you want, start building a list of people you admire:  Jack Welch, Wayne Dyer, Winston Churchill, Oprah.  Read what they write.  What are they doing that you admire?  What habit or attitude of thought would you like to adopt as your own?  Once you begin creating the INNER successful you, you'll see a more eager and confident OUTER successful you.



No comments: